Avihayil - Jewish
Legion Museum (Beit Hagdudim)
Legion Museum was established by veterans of the Jewish battalions of the
British army, founders of Moshav Aviyahil, near Netanya. The museum depicts the
struggle to create the Jewish battalions and their contribution to determining
the norms of the Jewish military forces for the future, after the establishment
of the State of Israel. The legion dates back to the early 1900s and more than
10,000 people were members.On display
are photographs, documents, flags, and such items as a life-size model of a mule
and a soldier.
corner is devoted to the memory of Eliezer Margolin, commander of the 39th
Battalion and the First Judean Battalion. An audiovisual presentation is shown,
as are films about the history of volunteering for the military. The museum
belongs to the Museums Unit of the Ministry of Defense.
Beit Hagdudim, Moshav Avihayil
882-2212, (09) 862-9240
Ben Shemen -
Old Courtyard and Bezalel Quarter
In the Ben
Shemen youth village, which was founded in 1927 and continues to function today,
the old buildings have remained, including the smelting works created by Boris
Schatz, founder of the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, for Jewish goldsmiths
Ben Shemen Youth Village, Ben Shemen
Gedera - BILU Museum
building that houses this museum was built in 1924 by Dr. Moshe Mintz, one of
the founders of the early Zionist movement known as BILU. Dr. Mintz bequeathed
his house to the colony, and since his death it has served many public purposes,
including a kindergarten, library, clinic, and the headquarters of the local
council. The museum
was dedicated in 1985 and it presents the history of the BILU movement, which
founded Gedera. It focuses
on three subjects: the background of the movement’s founding in Russia; the BILU
movement in the Land of Israel; and the history of Gedera in 1884-1994.
exhibition features a collection of agricultural implements, photographs,
documents, furniture, housewares, the attire of BILU members, and other items.
The museum organizes guided tours of Gedera, including a visit to the shack of a
BILU member, which still contains the original furniture. The shack is an
extension of the museum.
Habiluim St., Gedera Tel. (08)
Givat Brenner - Treasure Museum
Treasure Museum was built in the heart of Kibbutz Givat Brenner on the occasion
of the seventieth anniversary of the founding of the community. It has an
extensive collection of original objects and pictures that tell the story of the
early settlers of the site. A visit to the museum is accompanied by a monologue
presented by a female pioneer, performed by an actress.
Kibbutz Givat Brenner
944-3404, (08) 944-3330, or 050-753-9487
Herzliya - Beit Rishonim
Rishonim – the Founders’ Museum – focuses on the early days of the colony of
Herzliya, through a variety of exhibits and sophisticated audiovisual
technology. The exhibits feature: a shack that symbolizes the beginning of
settlement, a reconstructed room from the 1930s, a large diorama of the founders
of Herzliya, statues of typical residents of Herzliya in the 1930s, a
demonstration of the first work done in the colony, and a diorama of a packing
house for the citrus industry. A special section highlights the connection
between Theodor Herzl’s dream and the colony bearing his name. One room depicts
the development of the western area of Herzliya and the archaeological finds
the site: exhibits on the way of life, culture, and education in the colony, a
section on security, a videotape depicting the development of Herzliya to this
day, a library, and a reading room.
Hanadiv, Herzliya Tel. (09)
Hod Hasharon - The First House
house in Hod Hasharon was a wooden shack built in 1924 in Magdiel, one of the
four communities that were merged to create Hod Hasharon in 1964. It was built
by the Colton family and served as their abode (parents and three children) for
many years, even after most of the residents of the settlement had moved to
has historical value due to its form and the technology with which it was built.
Neglected and missing some of its parts, it underwent thorough preservation and
was reconstructed with its original materials by the planning staff of the
Council for Restoration and Preservation of Historic Sites in Israel. On the
original concrete floor, which remained intact, tiling was added, the walls were
renovated with original materials, and the cover of the wooden latticework
panels and the roof of the building were reconstructed.
building belongs to the Municipality of Hod Hasharon and is designated to be a
museum. In the rooms stand objects from the early days of settlement of Magdiel.
The exhibit re-creates the history of settlement in Hod Hasharon, with an
emphasis on Magdiel. n Address: 6 Sokolov, Magdiel, Hod Hasharon
and Museum of the History of the City
museum was established in 1988 and it is situated in the home of Avraham
Herzfeld, who was one of the leaders of the labor movement and a member of
Knesset. The house contains the museum of the history of Holon and the city’s
historical archive. The exhibit in the museum covers such subjects as people and
events, the War of Independence, immigrant absorption, and the Samaritans.
conclusion of the visit, there is an audiovisual presentation depicting the
development of the city and future possibilities.
26 Leon Blum, Holon Tel. (03)
Holon - Egged Bus Museum
This is an
open-air museum in the Egged parking lot, featuring some 50 models of buses that
were used in Jewish transportation over the ages. In addition, there are 10
other buses that were adapted for use as armored vehicles, ambulances, and other
Egged Parking Lot, Moshe Dayan St., Holon
Holon - Husmasa
This is a
fortress-like building three stories high, surrounded by a courtyard. It was
built in 1934 and due to its isolation in the heart of a sandy area, it became a
regional training base of the Haganah. Weapons caches were also placed in the
building. In Israel’s War of Independence, it served as a communication link
with the colonies of the south.
can see an exhibition of pictures, documents, and weapons, and the observation
tower offers a view of Holon and its environs.
53 David Elazar, Holon Tel. (03)
556-8210, (03) 505-0425
Hulda - Herzl House
House is located in the Hulda Forest, which was planted in 1904 in memory of
Theodor Herzl. In 1909, a mansion was built on the site, which served as the
center of an agricultural farm. The farm workers had to defend themselves
against an attack by local Arabs in 1929 and in the battle, Haganah commander
Ephraim Chizik, who came to aid in the defense of the site, was killed. This was
also the residence of the settlers of Kibbutz Hulda, before they moved to their
was renovated in cooperation with the Council for Restoration and Preservation
of Historic Sites and with the support of the JNF. In the framework of the
rehabilitation, displays were installed along the path leading to the house;
they depict episodes in the history of the site. Inside the house, visitors can
see a film and small exhibit.
items include a concrete pool from which water was channeled from the sea; a
pipe that was laid in Israel’s War of Independence along the Burma Road to
supply water to the besieged Jerusalem; and the Hulda Monument – a stone statue,
created by Batya Lishansky, in memory of Ephraim Chizik, his sister Sarah, and
others who fell in Israel’s battles.
addition, there is a grove planted in memory of the poet Rachel in 1931, the
year of her death, and a quarry that was used by the people of Hulda in order to
obtain stones for construction purposes in the period of the Arab revolt
(1936-39). Later, the site served as a shooting range for the Haganah.
Herzl Forest, between Kibbutz Hulda and Kibbutz Mishmar David (Road #411) Tel. (08)
Kfar Saba -
Archaeological and Historical Museum
museum focuses on ancient times according to the finds discovered in Kfar Saba
and its environs. It offers hands-on experience, such as reconstructing the
implements of prehistoric man, glassblowing, mosaic work, and production of wine
in reconstructed facilities.
Archaeological finds, photographs and paintings, maps and explanatory materials
are arranged around the hall according to period, from the appearance of
prehistoric man in the area to the end of Ottoman times. An audiovisual
presentation is screened and there are temporary archaeological exhibitions.
35 Jerusalem St., Kfar Saba Tel. (09)
Latrun - Mini Israel
Israel is a unique showcase for the sites of Israel, built of hundreds of exact
models, most on a scale of 1:25, spanning thousands of years of history.
for example, is depicted complete with its theater, port, fortress, hippodrome,
and aqueduct. Less-known sites whose preservation is crucial, such as the
Weizmann House, the German Colony in Haifa, and Sergei House in Jerusalem, are
included as well. Mini
Israel is the largest miniature park in the world.
Latrun Tel: (08)
Mazkeret Batya - Historical Museum
Mazkeret Batya Historical Museum is housed in the headquarters of the agents of
Baron Edmond de Rothschild, with whose support the colony of Mazkeret Batya was
founded in 1883. It shows the way of life of a pioneer settlement in the Land of
Israel. The museum documents and preserves the history of the colony,
reconstructs buildings and facilities, and operates them in their original form.
exhibit focuses on the colony’s history, education, and agriculture, and
features a reconstruction of the first synagogue; the security room, containing
an exhibit of the history of the defense of the colony, and a typical house
complete with furnishings and household items.
route passes through sites from the beginning of settlement, among them the
large synagogue and the sculpture garden created by the son of the blacksmith.
40 Rothschild St., Mazkeret Batya Tel. (08)
Mikveh Israel - Visitors’ Center
Visitors’ Center in the historic Mikveh Israel agricultural school provides
information and holds classes, study days, and teachers’ advanced training on
the history of the school, preservation of historic sites, nature, and other
route at the site, which also houses the headquarters of the Council for
Restoration and Preservation of Historic Sites, includes the synagogue, one of
the first built in the Land of Israel at the end of the nineteenth century; the
wine cellars hewn in the sandstone; Teachers’ House – a model of the
reconstruction of historic buildings; “Mechanika” – the workshop in which tools
were refurbished and weapons were produced; the botanical garden; the first
building erected at the site, and other sites. Visitors can also see a short
Mikveh Israel Tel. (03)
Nahalim - Beit Hahalutz Hadati
Hahalutz Hadati (Religious Pioneers’ House) was founded in 1996 in the heart of
Moshav Nahalim. The museum presents documents from the beginning of the Torah
Ve’avodah (Torah and Work) movement in the Land of Israel and abroad, and early
religious Zionist settlement in the colonies, kibbutzim, and moshavim. Visitors
can see a reconstruction of a pioneers’ house and a farmyard with agricultural
offers guided tours, accompanied by activities on related subjects, and it aims
to encourage literary creativity and historical research on these subjects.
Moshav Nahalim Tel. (03)
Nes Ziona - Beit Rishonim
museum depicts the early days of Nes Ziona and emphasizes the uniqueness of the
founders of the colony. It exhibits an extensive collection of items, among them
agricultural equipment, household articles from various periods, and items from
the development of beekeeping in the area.
Rishonim holds regular activities including lectures, courses, community
singing, and guided tours, and presents an audiovisual program on the history of
the colony. An archive and library document the history of settlement. Visitors
can tour the various sites in the area related to the early settlers.
19 Tel Aviv St., Nes Ziona Tel. (08)
Netanya - The Well
House. Netanya Heritage Center
House commemorates the work and contribution of the early settlers of the
colony, focusing on the years 1928-48.
viewing the exhibits on related subjects, visitors can see a film devoted to the
clandestine immigration of Jews to the Land of Israel in the British Mandate
period, and the beginning of citrus growing in the land. A theater group of
volunteers presents living pictures from the past.The first
floor is devoted to a well that is still functioning, and the beginning of the
colony of Netanya. The second floor is used as a lecture hall and for temporary
17 Sokolov, corner Weizmann, Netanya
Palmachim - Early Settlers’ House
at Kibbutz Palmachim was built in 1950 and since then has served as a library,
the first darkroom of the photographers of the kibbutz, the general store, the
archives, and assorted administrative offices. Today it
is a museum containing an exhibit of various aspects of kibbutz life and
offering activities on related subjects.
Beit Miriam, Palmachim Tel. (08)
Petach Tikva - Museum of the
of the Pioneers, located in Petach Tikva’s complex of museums, is devoted to the
memory of the early settlers of Peach Tikva, the first modern Zionist colony.
exhibit tells the story of the lives and deeds of the founders and includes
photographs, documents, maps, and other items relating to such subjects as the
division of the land, abandonment of the colony due to floods and a malaria
epidemic, the return to Petach Tikva, and the construction of the first school
in the colony.The museum
operates a computerized system, Shorashim, that offers information on the
historyof Petach Tikva.
30 Arlozorov, Petach Tikva Tel. (03)
Ra’anana - Archive and
This is an
archive, Israel lore center, and a small exhibit of old agricultural implements,
in the yard of the Bartuv School.
14 Eliezer Yaffe, Ra’anana Tel. (09)
Ra’anana - Museum of the
History of the City
historical museum documents the early days of the community. It features maps,
models, diaries, books, and agricultural implements, and offers an assortment of
activities for all ages.
47 Ahuza, Ra’anana Tel. (09)
Ramat Gan - Beit Avraham Krinitzi
the home of the first mayor of Ramat Gan, presents the history of the city. One
section comprises a room with the original furniture, photographs, and
documents. Another section is devoted to the early settlers of Ramat Gan and its
story; this section features the screening of an audiovisual presentation with
recollections told by the settlers themselves.The third
section presents Ramat Gan then and now. The museum serves as a study center,
and contains an archive that hosts classes and offers materials for research.
64 Krinitzi, Ramat Gan Tel. (03)
Ramat Hasharon - Beit Rishonim
Rishonim, in a Bauhaus-style building, is composed of two main elements. The first
is a museum that looks back on the early days of the community (from 1923 on).
It features documents, old photographs of longtime residents, a database,
household items, agricultural implements, work tools of a shoemaker and a
goldsmith, everyday items, and multimedia displays.The second
is a geological museum, operated by the Society for the Protection of Nature,
which has a branch in the building. The museum has an extensive collection of
minerals, precious stones, and fossils from around the globe – most dating back
to ancient geological periods, tens and hundreds of million years ago. In the
courtyard is a rock garden with huge boulders from all over Israel.Beit
Rishonim also offers a wide selection of activities and tours.
12 Hapalmah, Ramat Hasharon Tel. (03)
Ramle - City Museum
museum contains eight exhibit halls, chronicling the history of the city from
medieval times, through Ottoman rule and the period of the British Mandate, to
this day. One hall is a memorial to Ramle residents who fell in Israel’s wars.
112 Herzl, Ramle Tel. (08 )
Rehovot - Ayalon Institute
presents the story of the clandestine factory for the production of ammunition,
which was established by the Haganah and operated on the site from 1946 to 1948.
factory, which was readied for operation within less than a month, was built at
a depth of 8 meters below the ground. Its openings were disguised by a large
baking oven and a washing machine. The Ayalon
Institute was the largest ammunition factory in the Jewish underground, and some
2 million bullets were produced there in the period in which it operated.Among the
exhibits are a reconstruction of the “cover” operations at the entrances to the
institute: the laundry and the bakery; an audiovisual presentation in Hebrew and
English depicting the story of the institute; a depiction of the production
processes; and a reconstruction of the factory and its products.
Science Park, Rehovot Tel. (08)
Rehovot - Minkov Museum
site, Zalman Minkov, a member of one of the first families in Rehovot, planted
the first orchard in the city. The site has been rehabilitated and reconstructed
by the Rehovot Municipality and the Council for Restoration and Preservation of
Historic Sites in Israel, with the assistance of Francis Minkoff (a scion of the
Minkov family), and other donors. Among the
features of this reconstructed citrus orchard are an enclosed courtyard
containing the house of the citrus-grower and a reconstructed packing house. As part of
the process of reconstructing the site, unique strains of citrus trees grown in
Israel were planted. The museum offers a variety of activities and educational
programs for visitors.
Access through the Science Park in Rehovot
Rehovot - Weizmann House
the private home of Dr. Chaim Weizmann, first president of the State of Israel,
and his wife, Vera. After Weizmann became president in 1949, it served as his
official residence. It is the first house in Israel designed by Erich Mendelsohn.
architect built the house to suit its location and the local climate. The large
glass doors open up to the house’s swimming pool; the dining room faces east,
toward the Jerusalem Mountains, as do the bedrooms on the second floor. The tower
formed by the stairway looms up in the center of the house and is reflected in
the water of the pool.The
interior design was planned by Vera Weizmann, and is sumptuously decorated with
furniture and art objects that were brought from the Weizmanns’ home in England.
Hanasi Harishon St., Rehovot
934-2028, (08) 934-3230
Rishon Lezion - Carmel Mizrachi
A visit to
this winery includes a guided tour that presents the history of the wineries
from the first bottle to the largest winery in Israel; an audiovisual
presentation; a tour of a reconstructed wine-press from the Israelite period,
and treading on grapes in a wine-press in the vintage season (by appointment); a
tour following the path of the process of wine production; a visit to the wine
cellars and sophisticated bottling plant; and wine-tasting. Visitors receive a
small gift bottle of wine or grape juice.
25 Hacarmel, Rishon Lezion Tel. (03
Rishon Lezion -
Museum of the History of the City
museum tells the story of Rishon Lezion, which was founded in 1882, and its
first 40 years. One exhibit shows the importance of Rishon Lezion as a base for
the state-in-the-making. In the basement is a reconstruction of a classroom of
the first modern Hebrew school in the Land of Israel, in which the pupils were
taught in Hebrew. Visitors can see a “laundry day” in the colony, a computerized
album, and many other displays.
Ahad Ha’am, Rishon Lezion Tel. (03)
Tel Mond - Beit Halord
Documentation center containing a museum and archive, as well as a courtyard in
which the history of the Tel Mond Bloc is depicted. The building, owned by the
Tel Mond Bloc Historical Society, was renovated with the guidance of the Council
for Restoration and Protection of Historic Sites in Israel. Among the
exhibits in the museum are archaeological finds; an exhibit on Sir Alfred Mond –
Lord Melchett; the beginning of settlement in the area; the moshav in the 1930s;
the development of the colony – immigrant absorption, the transit camp, the
construction of the permanent house in the 1950s; and security.The
courtyard features objects documenting the way of life in the 1930s in the house
and on the farm. There is also an archive with documents, maps, aerial
photographs, videotapes, and didactic material.Other
buildings from the beginning of settlement in the area can be visited as well.
44 Hadekel, Tel Mond Tel. (09) 796-1973